Find gardening and plant resources to help you with plant issues, pest control, gardening ideas, plant selection, yard and garden maintenance and more.
Native Planting and North American Plants
- Native prairie planting guide for Minnesotans. (PDF)
- Learn more about North American plants from this huge database from the United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service.
The PLANTS Database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories.
- Lawns to Legumes- Acceptable Vegetation and Expenses for Individual Grant_tk_new of trees and shrubs to plant for native plantings. Drummers plants that we have ordered for our inventory in store are highlighted.
- Apply for the Fall Lawns to Legumes Program/Get Resources
Helping the Environment and Wildlife
How-to and Maintenance
- Growing Stone Fruit Trees
- How to Plant a Tree and Proper Care (PDF)
- How to Prune Peppers for Maximum Yield
- Prune “suckers” on Tomatoes for Higher Yield
- Pruning Landscape Trees
- Shrub Renewal Pruning (PDF)
- Pruning Principals Drummers handout – Trees, shrubs, and evergreens (PDF)
- Should you add soil microbes to your garden?
- Fertilizing plants during hot and dry weather
- How to Clean-up Perennials in Spring
- Time to Divide Perennials
- Growing & Dividing Bearded Iris
- Pruning Clematis by Variety
- Minnesota Chrysanthemums
Vegetables and Produce
- Vegetable planting guides
- Fruit trees and small fruits
- Guideline for growing carrots from seed to harvest
Gardening – Issues and Solutions
- Video about Soil testing and info by U of M
- Seed Growing Guides and Information- Crop by Crop Guides
- Natural gardening solutions from Espoma
- Build Healthy Living Soil
- Disease, insect & pest repellents and controls from Bonide. Plant tips, disease and insect controls, gardening tips
- Diagnose a problem with your plant with this handy tool from the University of Minnesota Extension Service. Covers disease, insects and weeds.
- Planting annuals and acclimating to the outdoors
- Pet Friendly and Toxic Plants
- Japanese Beetle Identification and Control
- Example of treating Blossom End Rot in tomatoes
- Plant Selection and Garden Design and Resource
- Choosing Onions to Grow and Eat
- Drought Tolerant Plants List
- Drummers Landscape Design and garden coaching assistance.
- Starting a Victory Garden (Grow your own food!)
- Tree Selection and Placement (PDF)
- ‘Types of Roses: A Visual Compendium’ from FTD
- Fruit Characteristics including pollination needs, flavor, and uses – Trees and Small Fruits