There are a number of ways we practice sustainability at Drummers besides growing lots of plants.
- Our staff works with customers to correctly identify cultural issues so if a control is needed, it is explained correctly.
- Offer natural and organic products for pest control as well as fertilization and have staff on hand who know how to use these products and sustainable practices.
- Offer resources on natural and organic gardening best practices.
- In our greenhouses and our property, we grow as many of our own plants as possible to save transportation and other costs and inputs.
- Promote benefits of tree planting to commercial and residential customers.
- Recycle paper that to be used in the store
- Work to purchase as many locally-produced goods as possible and from as many local vendors as possible.
- Our waste is hauled by a local hauler.
- The store’s cement walls conserve energy and reduce sound.
- We accept Drummers perennial plastic pots as well as large plastic pots to reuse year-after-year
- Offer our customers the opportunity to recycle floral vases.
- Maintain green spaces with display gardens.
- The rock surface on our shrub lot is a permeable surface that reduces storm water runoff and heat.
- Retrofitted the retail store lighting in 2008 to high efficiency fluorescent lighting that also saves on cooling costs.
- Reuse and recycle wood pallets.
- Use an energy curtain in our glass greenhouse to save and block heat or heat loss depending on the season.
- Reuse storm water to water plants in our shrub and tree lot and display gardens.
- Use energy-saving in-floor heat in the glass greenhouse.