Indoor Amaryllis Bulbs
Planting Amaryllis Bulbs Step-by-Step:
(Click through image gallery for all steps)
- Select firm bulbs – the biggest you can find. The larger the bulb, the more blooms it can have. Use any pot, with drainage, that is about 1 to 2 inches wider than the bulb. Or, try a larger container with several amaryllis. Plant bulbs an inch apart, if planting more than one.
- Plant or restart your bulb 8-10 weeks in advance of when you want it to bloom. Plant different varieties, as well as plant in fall and early winter for blooms throughout the winter.
- Fill the pot 1/3 to 1/2 full with all-purpose potting soil, set the bulb on top of soil and then fill the pot with soil so the 1/3 to 1/2 of the bulb is exposed. The soil can be topped with the moss, rocks, or a decorative item.
- Water well to settle the soil then water sparingly until active growth is visible. No more than 1/4 cup of water a week. Fertilize at half the recommended strength each time you water.
- Place the pot in a warm, sunny (indirect bright light is best) spot and you’ll start to see it growing its flower stalks. you’ll have blooms in about two months. Be patient! You can then move the pot wherever you’d like indoors to enjoy after they are in bloom.